The Spirit Calendar
A Weekly Devotional from the Connecticut Conference United Church of Christ
June 26, 2017
This week's author is Jennifer Kronholm Clark, Administrator for Silver Lake Conference Center.
Scripture: Psalm 89:15-18 (NRSV)
Happy are the people who know the festal shout,
who walk, O Lord, in the light of your countenance;
they exult in your name all day long,
and extol your righteousness.
For you are the glory of their strength;
by your favour our horn is exalted.
For our shield belongs to the Lord,
our king to the Holy One of Israel.
There’s nothing quite like 119 campers and their deans and counselors starting off the day with a rousing chorus of “I’ve got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart.” The Social Hall swells with voices, the floor shakes with stomping and clapping, and the Holy Spirit moves through it all.
We’re having camp! The first week of camp is underway at Silver Lake Conference Center, and everywhere you turn, voices are lifted in song. The energy of camp songs revitalizes me in a way unique to this outdoor ministry setting. Whether it’s the raucous singing after meals or the soulful strumming of a guitar around the campfire, musical praise flows through this community.
If you haven’t experienced the movement of the Holy Spirit at camp, I invite you to join us! There is still room for young and old to come to camp this summer. Summer conferences are for youth entering grades 4 through 12, and we have room available in our two Family Camp sessions. Or you can come with your church group on retreat in the fall, winter, or spring (www.silverlakect.org
We miss your voice when you’re not here. Sing Praise, Make a Joyful Noise, find God’s Song, Rock through the Ages. Take every opportunity to rejoice in song, whether you offer a melodious harmony or an enthusiastic croak.
Thank you, Lord, for the sound of young voices, lifted in praise.
Special Prayer Requests:
- Those grieving or suffering in China where more than 90 are still missing after a landslide buried the village of Xinmo on June 24; and
- those grieving or suffering in Pakistan after a oil tanker crashed and ignited spilled fuel, killing more than 150 and severely burning more than 50 others on June 25.
- The families and friends of the 7 crew members of the USS Fitzgerald killed June 17th in a collision with a Japanese-owned cargo ship;
- those grieving or suffering in Portugal where wild-fires beginning June 17th have killed more than 60 and injured more than 100 others;
- those suffering after a shooting in Alexandria, Virginia on June 14 where members of the Republican party were practicing for a charity baseball game;
- those grieving or suffering in London after a high-rise blaze on June 14 left almost 80 dead or missing, and after an a track on a crowd leaving evening prayers at a mosque on June 18;
- the friends and family of Rev. Don Steinle, former director of the Christian Activities Council, who died June 13;
- the families and friends of Sgt. Eric M. Hock, Sgt. William M. Bays, and Cpl. Dillon C. Baldridge who were killed on June 10th in a fire fight in Afghanistan;
- those grieving in Orlando after a shooting that left 5 dead, on June 5;
- those grieving or suffering in London after an attack on London Bridge left 7 dead and more than 40 injured on June 3;
- the friends and families of Ricky John Best and Taliesin Myrddin Namakai-Meche, who died in their efforts to stand against hatred by trying to help two Muslim women who were being verbally assaulted on a train in Portland, OR, on May 28th;
- those grieving in Mississippi after a shooting that left 8 dead, including a deputy sheriff, on May 27;
- those grieving in Egypt after an attack on a bus carrying Coptic Christians left 26 dead on May 26;
- Audrey Touloukian, granddaughter of Rev. Janice Touloukian, who is recovering after being hit by a car while biking on April 30;
- Rev. Sara Smith, Senior Pastor of United Congregational Church of Bridgeport, who is recovering from an injury;
- Mark Engstrom, member of the CT Conference Board of Directors, and his wife Nina, who are facing health issues;
- the community of Conway, MA, and the United Congregational Church, UCC, Conway after a tornado touched down on Feb. 25 causing significant structural damage;
- the people of South Sudan where nearly 1 million people are facing famine;
- John Polglase, husband of the Rev. Betsey Polglase, Pastor of the Columbia Congregational Church UCC, who has chronic pulmonary disease;
- the members and staff of Thompson Congregational Church after a fire severely damage the building on Dec. 29;
- Michael White, former Operations Manager at Silver Lake Conference Center, who was diagnosed with colon cancer;
- Juliane Silver, the daughter of the Rev. Jim Silver of Middletown, who is in dire need of a liver transplant. We pray that a donor will come forward giving the gift of life and a portion of their liver to Juliane;
- Chacy Eveland, husband of the Rev. Marcia Eveland, pastor of the First Congregational Church UCC of Ansonia, who has been moved to a full-time facility for care of dementia;
- the thousands of migrants worldwide who flee from violence and persecution in search of safety;
- our ecumenical partners in the Kyung-Ki Presbytery in South Korea;
- the Conference's partners working for peace in Colombia amidst violence;
- the leaders of this nation, that they may meet the challenges of the day with insight, wisdom, and compassion;
- this nation, that it may continue its difficult work to end the practices of racism; and
- those serving or living in war or conflict zones around the world, or where terrorists have struck.
To be added to the prayer list, please send an email to Drew Page at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Remember These Connecticut Conference Churches
In Your Prayers:
Congregational Church of New Fairfield
Laura A. Westby - IN
Elizabeth Yoho - CE
Carl H. Anderson – MM
North Congregational Church, UCC
Margret Hofmeister - P
Sarah Pradhan - CE
Shirley McCunn - MM
Church of the Redeemer UCC
Dixwell Avenue Congregational UCC
F. Jerry Streets - P
First Church of Christ in New Haven, UCC
Kevin Ewing - DT
The Spirit Calendar:
June 26, 2017
Jennifer Kronholm Clark.