Director of Communications - Southington
First Congregational Church of Southington, CT
Director of Communications
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Effective: April 15, 2018
Status: 20 hours per week, non-exempt, $19.50 per hour
The Director of Communications will work with the Senior Pastor and Church Council to set and guide the strategy for all communications, including website, social media, public relations messages, and print collateral in order to consistently articulate the mission of First Congregational Church.
- Curate content for website, social media, and print collateral (promotions, brochures, etc.)
- Create weekly worship announcement sheet including joys and concerns, and the weekly calendar
- Create a monthly print newsletter
- Create a weekly e-newsletter and special email communications, maintain the email database on MailChimp
- Maintain website, the church’s Facebook pages, and other social media
- Serve as the public relations officer for the church, including creating press releases and writing articles for submission to news outlets
- Oversee the creation of multimedia for worship services including supervision of the worship technology staff
- Oversee the church calendar
- Oversee maintenance of the church database
- Support the work of the Office Coordinator
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Proficient computer skills, including (but not limited to) the use of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Publisher, Microsoft PowerPoint, Weebly, and HTML/CSS
- Proficient skill in simple audio and video production using tools like Photoshop, Audacity and MovieMaker
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
Creativity and Innovation
: Generates new ideas; makes new connections among existing ideas to create fresh approaches; takes acceptable risks in pursuit of innovation; learns from mistakes; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work.
Compassion and Care:
Exudes a natural sense of care for the well-being of others; responds with empathy to the life circumstances of others; communicates a sense of support in his or her very presence; demonstrates appropriate expressions of care.
Ethics and Values:
Honors the core values and beliefs of the church in his/her choice of behaviors; consistently embodies appropriate behavioral choices in both stressful and non-stressful situations; practices the behaviors he/she advocates to others.
Relates well to all kinds of people, inside and outside of the congregation; builds appropriate rapport; builds effective and constructive relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; is regarded as a team player.
Can gather and organize resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities at once to accomplish a goal; can use resources effectively and efficiently.
Accurately assesses the length and difficulty of a project; sets objectives and goals; breaks down work into process steps; anticipates and adjusts for problems and roadblocks; measures performance against goals; evaluates results.
Demonstrates interest, skill and success in a church staff environment; promotes staff goals ahead of personal agendas; steps up to offer self as a resource to other members of the staff; understands and supports the importance of teamwork; shares credit for success with others, takes responsibility for his or her part in team failures.
Contact: Rev. Ron Brown
37 Main St Southington CT 06489