The mission of the Racial Justice Ministry is to engage every setting of the Connecticut Conference of the United Church of Christ to eradicate racism in our personal, inter-personal, institutional and cultural realms.
- To inspire all settings of the CT Conference to participate in the Racial Justice Ministry.
- To provide members with opportunities to engage in productive dialogue and deep spiritual discernment on the intersection of race and religion.
- To nurture and foster Multi-Racial and Multi-Cultural (MRMC) congregations, gatherings, and activities.
- To attend to the language, policies, and behaviors within the structure of the CT Conference that may inhibit, diminish, or invalidate the contributions and participation of any ethnic or racial group.
- To encourage, support, and provide opportunities of advocacy for racial justice.
Clergy, Congregations, Associations, and lay leaders are encouraged to offer Training, Conversations, Events, Programming, and Actions in the areas of Personal, Interpersonal, Institutional and Cultural Racism.
The Racial Justice Ministry offers three facilitated programs:
- Sacred Conversations on Race
A Sacred Conversation on Race is a single conversation of one to two hours. Two Racial Justice Facilitators will provide a narrative of a real world event followed by questions on feeling, thinking, and action.
- Realms of Racism Training
Realms of Racism Training consists of six sessions with Racial Justice Facilitators, focused on one of the four realms of racism: personal, interpersonal, institutional, or cultural. It can be scheduled in a six week series or in a one day "retreat" format.
- Youth Racial Justice Training
- Youth Racial Justice Training is an adaptation of our realms of racism training mentioned above. This training covers the four realms of racism (personal, interpersonal, cultural, and institutional) as well as some current issues, customized for young people. This training is available for both middle and high school aged students.
*All conference wide and local church facilitated programs are on hold until further notice.
Joseph Clemmons Job Training Program
This paid job training program seeks to introduce youth of color to the beautiful outdoor ministry space at Silver Lake Conference Center as well as provide skills for future employment. Youth will receive valuable experience as they practice application and interview skills, train and work alongside staff at Silver Lake, and receive orientation to the wider work of the church at the Connecticut Conference office.
CTUCC Racial Justice YouTube Channel
A collection of videos offering resources on racism.
White Privilege: Let's Talk—A Resource for Transformational Dialogue
An adult curriculum from the United Church of Christ that's designed to invite church members to engage in safe, meaningful, substantive, and bold conversations on race
Inclusivity Spectrum Chart (PDF)
Inclusivity Chart developed by the Rev. Da Vita D. McCallister
From Selma to Ferguson
A discussion resource for use with the movie "Selma"
For more information, contact:
Program Associate for Racial Justice Ministries