Custodian/Facilities Manager - Litchfield (First)
Purpose of the Position:
The general appearance of First Congregational Church presents an image of our congregation to our community. For this reason, the Custodian/Facilities Manager will be responsible for the custodial and maintenance requirements to present a clean and safe environment to our congregation.
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule with strong customer service skills
- Self-starter who is conscientious and able to work independently.
- Familiarity with commercial cleaning equipment, snow blowers, lawn mowers, and light carpentry skills
- Basic knowledge of building and mechanical systems including but not limited to heating, plumbing and electrical systems is required
- Participate in regular review and improvement of church policies and process’s related to the campus of FCCL
- Reports to the Pastor
- Works in consultation with the Church Administrator and the Property Committee
- Works well with church volunteers, local vendors, and contractors
- Meets with the Pastor, Church Administrator, and Chair of Property Committee on a regular basis
Maintenance and Repair
- Weekly cleaning of the Meetinghouse, and adjacent rooms including: bathrooms, hallways, entry ways, balcony, Chapel/Parlor, Fellowship Hall, Bishop Room, Kitchen, all which involve dusting, mopping, vacuuming and sweeping. A detailed task list will be provided and reviewed on a quarterly basis
- Weekly cleaning of the Pilgrim House (excluding School on the Green and Mission Gift Shop), including: entryways, hallways, bathrooms, kitchenette, classrooms all which involve dusting, mopping, vacuuming, sweeping, and the cleaning of flat surfaces. A detailed task list will be provided and reviewed on a quarterly basis
- Removal of trash and recyclables from all buildings to outside receptacles
Ministry Event Support
- Will be on-call in the case of custodial or maintenance emergencies and first call for monitored alarm systems
- Basic repair and maintenance (including but not limited to: replacing faucets, toilet repairs, changing light bulbs, fixing door handles, and painting).
- Outdoor seasonal maintenance including: sweeping walks, shoveling and de-icing sidewalks and entrances (including the parsonage),
- Inform Church administrator when vendor or contractors must be called for repairs
- Identify needed repairs and maintenance on a regular basis and establish a preventative maintenance/repair schedule in consultation with the Property Committee
- Monitor heating and electrical systems as well as be the liaison for various inspections
Hours and Compensation:
- Opening and closing the Meetinghouse and Pilgrim House during the weekends
- Room set-up and take-down in consultation with Church Administrator
- Plan and promote two volunteer work days a year in consultation (Fall and Spring) with Property Committee
- Clean church facilities prior to and after special events including: special mid-week services, memorial services, weddings, and various other congregational events
The Custodian/Facilities Manager position is a 15-20 hour a week position and will be compensated at a rate of $17.50/hour
The Part-time Custodian/Facilities Manager is an at-will employment status, as such the employee is free to resign any time without reason. FCC reserves the right to terminate employment at any time with or without reason or notice. Nothing contained in this job description should be construed as a guarantee that employment or any other benefit will continue for any period of time.
If you are interested in this position, please forward a cover letter along with a resume to Janet Hauer at First Congregational Church, PO Box 386, Litchfield, CT 06759. Electronic submissions may be made to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Contact: Janet Hauer
P.O. Box 386 21 Torrington Road Litchfield CT 06759